Pages

Sunday 17 May 2015

Jumping around or not as the case may be

Take one warehouse, and fill it from wall to wall with trampolines - and you get Jump Nation in Manchester. It's huuuuuuuuuge. And for a child who likes (1) running and (2) bouncing, it's perfect.

But like many parents of disabled children, I was very wary of taking Andrew to such a venue - whilst the general public can be forgiving of children the first time they get in their way, by the sixth time their patience is wearing thin.

Which is why I was delighted to find out in March via another blog that Jump Nation were holding a special event just for autistic children (and their siblings) (and any parents with enough energy to join in). The session was great - children running amok from one jump-bed to the next, but annoying nobody because everybody's children were doing the same thing. I even heard a few meltdowns that received very little attention from others.

Since then the sessions have been held monthly, 9am on a Saturday morning - the next is on 13th June. (Booking link) We've booked on them all! We missed April due to illness, but were back there again this Saturday for the May event. I'm not sure why it wears me out more than our son, it's probably an age thing as I haven't been on a trampoline for over 30 years !

The best moment though was in the cafe when we were taking a refreshment break - water and, for Andrew, the obligatory packet of cheesy puffs. One child decided to climb onto the sofa next to me. Their mother was apologetic and commented:

"We brought him all this way and he's bouncing on the sofa."

My response?

"Heck, I brought him all this way and he's sitting here eating wotsits ..."

Autistic children. You just roll with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment