Pages

Monday 4 May 2015

Accidental sensory deprivation (Silly Mummy)

Sometimes I forget that our son is sensory-seeking, and expect him to behave like an NT child. Four a.m. is one of those times. My brain doesn't work well at 4 a.m.

Andrew is going through an annoying stage of waking up early, we've had a run now of 4:40am wake up calls. We don't generally have problems getting him to go to sleep, it's just staying asleep that he doesn't understand, he thinks it's time to get up and play. It's not a noise that wakes him, I was in his room from 4:10 a.m. this morning and the house is silent. It's not a toileting issue, he's still in nappies. But it is getting light earlier, so maybe he's just waking up and thinks it's morning already.

Silly Mummy takes herself off to the shops, and buys a blackout blind. (Have you seen the price of those things? And don't get me started on the shoddy manufacture, I've emailed Gro about that.)

Result? Instead of playing at 4:40 a.m., he's screaming.

A few hours later (not all screaming hours, thank goodness) when my brain begins to work again, I figure it out. It probably already bothers him that he cannot hear anything when he wakes up. And now I've removed another sense - he cannot see anything, because his room is pitch black. Sensory deprivation times two.

Andrew now has a blackout blind, and a night-light. (I'm determined to get my money's worth from that damn blind!) It won't stop him waking up, but it will stop him from getting distressed.

Now if only we can work out why he wakes up in the first place ...

No comments:

Post a Comment